Among this spring’s affected historic events are the Donington Historic Festival, scheduled for May 1-3, and the Brands Hatch Masters Festival on May 23-24.
“Motorsport UK has a vital role to play with its community in reinforcing that, at this time of national emergency, we must all stay at home to play our part in protecting the NHS and ultimately saving lives,” said Motorsport UK Chairman, David Richards.
“Today, the government have required that we effectively lock-down for a period of three weeks, however given that the most vulnerable in our society are required to isolate for three months, it is evident that the most responsible course of action was to propose a longer suspension of our sport.
“When we reflect back on this time, it will be a brief, but vital, hiatus from our everyday motorsport life and we must put this in perspective. This is a time of national unity and we need to come together with the broader public community to do all we can to support this battle and ultimately save lives.”
The disruption had been anticipated for several days. Last week, Alan Gow, the British Touring Car Championship boss told Motor Sport that he anticipated racing would begin as late as July.
“We’ll have to be creative and there will be a lot of back-to-back weekends, but the teams are up for it,” he said. “We will do what is required to get the season done.”