Brooklands became Europe's first permanent circuit when it opened on July 17 1907. As Grand Prix racing began to capture the imagination on the continent, Brooklands held Britain's first such events in 1926 and 1927. The liberal use of straw bales made various circuit layouts possible around the starting straight and test hill. A permanent Grand Prix circuit named after Sir Malcolm Campbell was introduced in 1937, although by then Donington Park was already playing host to the continental teams. High speeds and a society atmosphere became central to Brooklands folklore. In 1935, the fastest lap of the outer circuit was run at over 143 mph by John Cobb’s Napier-Railton - on a day when the track was not completely dry! Brooklands closed for World War II, never to reopen. Part of the Members Banking remains, overlooking the clubhouse and paddock sheds, which now house a museum. The remainder of the track has been redeveloped as business parks, a hotel, Mercedes-Benz World and retail shopping, with access to a supermarket car park now cutting through the Byfleet Banking.