St Gaudens

Country:
France
Location:
St Gaudens, Midi-Pyrenees
Description

The roads to the west of St Gaudens twice held the French Grand Prix although both were less-than satisfactory sports car events. The original 16-mile version was used for the 1928 race and stretched from the rising, curved start along the Garonne valley to a bridge at Montrejeau before the fast return leg on the RN117. A shortened version that exclusively ran to the north of the River Garonne was introduced in 1933 and it was on this layout that the race returned in 1949. The Delahaye of future Ferrari importer Charles Pozzi won on a stiflingly hot day.