The Automobile Club de France chose a triangular course to the west of Strasbourg for its 1922 race. Set near Bugatti’s factory in the Alsace region of France, the pits and grandstand were built on the D392 from Duttlenheim to Entzheim. A sharp right-hand hairpin before that latter village preceded another fast straight towards Innenheim. The circuit then turned right again to re-join the D392 on the outskirts of Duttlenheim. A railway station was specially opened to service the raceday crowd and a bridge built at the startline with sponsorship from Dunlop. The race also featured the first mass start in Grand Prix history.