One of 23 men to race in the very first world championship Grand Prix, Eugène Martin trained as an engineer in the final years of World War II. He modified a Frazer Nash and started to race as sport resumed in the late 1940s. Success followed in local voiturette events and he drove for various French concerns in the pre-championship years including the patriotic failure that was the CTA-Arsenal.
World Championship debut
Martin joined Lago-Talbot in 1950 and qualified seventh for that historic first championship race at Silverstone. He retired after just seven laps and the team missed the following week’s Monaco GP. Ninth on the grid for the Swiss GP, he was seriously injured when he crashed out of sixth position during the race.
He did appear sporadically during the following seasons and raced for a final time at Pau in 1954. However, his works Gordini crashed into the crowd and four spectators were injured. Martin retired from racing and later worked for Salmson as Technical Director.