Georges Grignard only really started to race when already middle aged. He had competed in the Monte Carlo Rally of 1928 and 1929 but only raced occasionally until he had established his successful garage business in the Paris area. His pre-World War II highlight was a third place finish in the 1936 Bol d’Or at St Germain.
Post-war racing career
His Amilcar C6 was car number one for the 1945 Coupe de la Libération in the Bois de Boulogne just four months after peace had been restored to Europe. He also drove a Delahaye 135S in the Coupe des Prisonniers that day but retired from both events.
His Delahaye was regularly placed during 1946 with second in the Burgundy Grand Prix at Dijon and third in Marseille the highlights. He then bought a Lago-Talbot T26C in 1948 which he raced for the next three seasons. Grignard was second in the 1949 Paris GP at Montlhéry when sharing with Yves Giraud-Cabantous and made his debut in a major GP in Switzerland.
World Championship appearance
Victory in the 1950 Paris GP followed after both Raymond Sommer and Louis Rosier retired at Montlhéry. He drove a new Lago-Talbot T26C-DA from the 1951 Pau GP and ended the season with his only world championship GP start. He qualified for the Spanish GP in 16th position but his engine failed after 23 laps circulating at the back of the field.
The World Championship’s 1952 switch to Formula 2 rules all-but-ended Grignard’s single-seater career. He raced in sports cars for the next couple of seasons before retiring from the sport in 1955.
His association with Talbot was reawakened in 1959 when he bought its assets after it went into liquidation. Grignard then supplied parts and cars to like-minded enthusiasts.