A contemporary of Karl Kling in German sports car racing during the late 1940s, this former World War II paratrooper began racing in national Formula 2 events during 1951. That was with a modified BMW 328 with which Kurt Adolff finished second on the Riem airfield circuit outside Munich. He soon switched to Fritz Rissmann’s Veritas RS and scored a couple of third-place finishes in minor races at the Nürburgring.
Grand Prix opportunity
With the World Championship adopting F2 rules for 1952 and 1953, many a lesser light had their chance on the international stage. Adolff was one such also-ran during 1953. He was a fine fourth in the Eifelrennen with Ecurie Espadon’s Ferrari 500 after dicing with Stirling Moss’ Alta in the opening laps and finishing less than a minute behind de Graffenried’s winning Maserati.
Adolff drove the team’s Ferrari 166C when the circus returned to the Nürburgring for the 1953 German Grand Prix. He qualified in 27th position in what remains the largest field to start a championship event (34 cars) but retired from his only GP appearance after three laps. Having competed in national hillclimbs with a Jaguar, Adolff gave up the sport to concentrate on running his textile business.