Max de Terra was an occasional Formula 2 driver whose pace was leisurely at best. He briefly became a Grand Prix driver when the world championship switched to that category for 1952 and 1953.
Competing in a mixture of hillclimbs and sports car events at the start of his racing career during the late 1940s, he retired from the 1948 Preis von Bremgarten and was third in class at the Preis der Osterreich a year later.
De Terra’s first F2 start was in the 1950 Prix de Berne when 10th with a Cisitalia D46. He switched to a Veritas Meteor for 1951 and retired from the Eifelrennen at the Nürburgring. Although the Swiss amateur normally competed on hillclimbs, he also made his GP debut in the 1952 Swiss GP when he retired Alfred Dattner’s old Simca-Gordini T11.
Back at Bremgarten for the 1953 GP, he qualified Ecurie Espadon’s Ferrari 166C last but one on the grid. De Terra finished in ninth position, a full 17 laps behind Alberto Ascari’s winning car.
With GP racing returning to Formula 1 rules in 1954, de Terra competed in the occasional hillclimb thereafter but was not seen in international races again.