1960 Argentine Grand Prix
- Sunday, February 7, 1960
- Gran Premio de la Republica Argentina
- F1 World Championship
In 1959 the series of Argentinian races that normally open the racing season were missed, but 1960 saw them back on the Calendar and run according to previous form. The three week racing season contained a round of the Drivers' World Champion, namely the Argentine Grand Prix, a round of the Sports Car Championship in the 1,000 kilometre race, and a Formule Libre race.
Held on a 9.5kms circuit comprising part of the Autodromo and a stretch of dual-carriageway, this race was expected to be a straight fight between Ferrari and Porsche, these being the only works teams entered. Phil Hill/Allison and von Trips/Ginther had 12-cylinder 3-litre Ferraris, while Gonzalez/Scarfiotti had a Dino-engined car of 2.4-litres. Porsche entered three 1,600cc RSK models with drivers Bonnier Graham Hill, Trintignant/Herrmann and Barth/Gendebien, while von Hanstein/Bohnen had a works Carrera GT. The rest of the entry of 28 cars was made up from a mixed collection of private owners or small Scuderias, but surprise of the race came from the Camoradi Team entry of Gurney/Gregory with a new 2.8-litre "birdcage chassis" Tipo 61 Maserati. Gurney set the pace and led all the factory cars for a considerable time, including making fastest lap, and this new Maserati was undoubtedly faster than the Ferraris. It eventually succumbed to gearbox and shock-absorber troubles, and had to withdraw, leaving the two 3-litre Ferraris in full command of the race, with the ever-waiting Porsches in the next places.
Once the Maserati had dropped out the race became a procession and the 23 starters dwindled to 11 by the end of the 1,000 kilometres.