Motor Sport vacancy: Chief Sub-Editorby Motor Sport on 10th October 2019
Come and work with us!
Love racing? Have an eye for detail and a knack for a headline? Read on…
Motor Sport, the world’s most authoritative racing brand, is looking for a talented and enthusiastic Chief Sub-Editor to join its busy editorial team.
The role requires an excellent grasp of English grammar and punctuation but also a flair for headline writing, imaginative stand-firsts and an eye for a killer caption. The ideal candidate will have experience working on a specialist motor racing or automotive title and proven knowledge of the sector.
As well as day to day subbing of the print title, the right candidate will be required to help establish and enforce the right tone of voice across all of Motor Sport’s digital channels. This will include working with other departments including marketing and subscriptions to ensure the key messages of the brand are consistent and accurate.
Motor Sport is a small, independent company and the right person will need to demonstrate the ability to work effectively as part of a team, take on extra tasks, work with other departments and go the extra mile to ensure everything meets our high standards.
This role would suit someone who already has at least five years’ experience as a sub editor, or deputy chief sub-editor and wants to make their mark at a more senior level.
Motor Sport Chief Sub-Editor
- Location: North London
- Salary: Competitive
- End date: October 28, 2019
- Applications: Short (300 words) covering letter explaining your interest in the role and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ensure all copy is error-free, factually correct and follows house style
- Cut copy to length, re-write where necessary and alert editors to inconsistencies
- Write creative headlines, stand-firsts and captions
- Work with internal stakeholders to establish a tone of voice across the business including newsletters, social posts and commercial pitches
- Work with Features Editor to ensure an efficient workflow
- Oversee production schedule and update flatplan
- Take on essential production tasks during press week
- Work with the Digital Editor to ensure digital content adheres to house style
- Attend and contribute to editorial ideas meetings
- Work with the Art Editor to create digital version of the print magazine
- Fast accurate subbing skills
- Attention to detail and excellent organisational skills
- Ability to work under pressure and juggle multiple projects
- Knowledge of and enthusiasm for motor racing past and present
- Familiarity with magazine workflows
- Expert in Adobe InDesign. Experience of Wordpress desirable