THE BRIGHTON ROAD-CIRCUIT SCHEME
AFTER, an interval of eight years, the scheme to construct a road-racing circuit on the South Downs, near Brighton, has been revived. It will be remembered that in 1925 the proposal met with considerable opposition in the district, notably with the members of the Society of Sussex Downsmen. In spite of the efforts of Mr. Hugh McConnell, who was at that time the moving spirit of the scheme, no support could be found for it in those circumstances, and it was indefinitely postponed. Now that keen sportsman, Mr. C. L. Clayton, Secretary of the Brighton & Hove Motor Club, has resuscitated the
scheme and has gained the sanction of the Brighton Corporation for a lease of some 450 acres of land on the Downs. The actual site is bounded by the Dyke Railway line, the Hove Isolation Hospital, and the Dyke golf course and club house. On this land it is proposed to lay out a metalled road the actual length of the circuit. No grandstands will be built, the promoters considering the sloping downs to be ample accommodation for spectators.
Mr. Clayton’s plan is that the track will be owned by a private company known as the Brighton Racing Track Syndicate.
So far the scheme is naturally in its early stages. Two difficulties suggest themselves, first, that the Portslade Urban District Council will use their Town Planning authority to dismiss the scheme, and second that they will refuse to maintain the roads leading to the Track. At a recent meeting of the Portslade Council the matter was deferred until more comprehensive plans and proposals were submitted, by the promoters.
Further developments will be watched with the interest and good wishes of all who hope that we shall one day have a real road-race circuit in England, suitable for Grand Prix races.