1955 Italian Grand Prix
- Sunday, September 11, 1955
- Gran Premio d'Italia
- F1 World Championship
After a fantastic amount of hard work the rebuilt Monza Autodrome was completed well before the Grand Prix was due to take place, and most of the leading teams put in some training before official practice started. At the end of the long wide straight past the pits a steeply-banked concrete curve was built on a radius of nearly 350 yards, running over the back leg of the old circuit, then parallel with the two existing straights, round a similar steep concrete banking to rejoin the beginning of the wide finishing straight.
The famous pave turns at Vedano were not used, a new corner being built to join the two straights of the old circuit before the south banking was reached. By dividing the finishing straight into two parts, by means of little white rubber pylons, it was possible to make a full circuit of 10 kilometre length. The start was situated on the outside of the straight in front of the grandstands, running round the road circuit, via the Lesmo corners, down the back straight and round the new south corner, to rejoin the pits straight.
This time the cars passed the grandstands on the inside of the white pylons, went on to the north banking to complete a full lap of the speed circuit, and rejoined the grandstand straight to finish the full lap. By removing the white pylons it was possible to use only the speed circuit of two straights and two bankings. The full circuit provided a view of the cars on three occasions during one lap, but meant that any pit stops would have to be made at the end of a half lap instead of a full one.