1961 German Grand Prix
- Sunday, August 6, 1961
- Grosser Preis von Deutschland und Europa
- F1 World Championship
AFTER wandering about for two years in 1959 to the Avus and 1960 to the South Circuit of the Nurburgring, the German Grand Prix this year returned to its traditional home on the 22.8 kilometre North Circuit of the Nurburgring and a vast entry was accepted in an attempt to put on the largest field of starters on the longest circuit. The AVD dug even deeper into the barrel than the BARC had for the British Grand Prix, and found 33 entries but luckily they did not all turn up, and this had not included UDT-Laystall, who were otherwise engaged.
Greatest interest was aroused by the first appearance of the new Coventry-Climax V8-cylinder engine, installed, one need hardly add, into a Cooper chassis for Jack Brabham to drive. This interesting new V8 engine of 1.5-litres has four overhead camshafts, two to each bank, and they are driven by intermediate gears and then a single-roller chain, the drive cover and camboxes on each bank being a single-piece casting, with the drive at the front of the engine. In the V are mounted four double-choke down-draught Weber IDF carburetters and the eight exhaust pipes run round the back of the block to join together in a left-right layout of tuned pipes before exhausting into two tail pipes with small megaphones.
Permanent road course
Jim Clark (Lotus 33-Climax), 8m24.1, 101.173 mph, F1, 1965
First Race1927 German Grand Prix