Skip navigation

Formula 1 10

The week in motor sport (06/06/2011)

This week Rob Widdows and I discuss the rescheduling of the Bahrain Grand Prix, Nick Wirth’s departure from Virgin Racing and also the driving standards in the British Touring Car Championship.

f1  The week in motor sport (06/06/2011)

As always, let us know your thoughts and if you have a question for next week, just post it below.

f1  The week in motor sport (06/06/2011)

Or, if you’d like to download it…

f1  The week in motor sport (06/06/2011)f1  The week in motor sport (06/06/2011)

Add your comments

10 comments on The week in motor sport (06/06/2011)

1. Hoot, 6 June 2011 23:03

Thank you Rob, one of the most reasoned comments I’ve heard about Bahrain.

2. Hamfan, 7 June 2011 09:50

Good comments on the BTCC, Rob – it’s been a joke for too long now, kept going by an admirably loyal bunch of supporters more by sheer momentum (family tradition of a day at the local circuit every year) than anything else, I think.

You tip-toe a bit too lightly around the Bahrain situation, imo. Those pro-Bahrain comments on the forum tend to be written in a certain ‘similar’ way, if you get what I mean. Hell, if it weren’t for Bernie wanting to fill his pockets there’d be no racing in sterile Tilke-toy-tracks like Bahrain anyway. Good on Webber for telling it like it is – shame on FOTA for not coming out with a clearer position sooner (let’s see what they do say later today…)

3. Andy Reeves, 7 June 2011 12:28

This latest twist on the Bahrain issue is not that surprising.What I do find very interesting is the treatment of the Indian organisers and spectators.
    Correct me if I’m wrong but have the Indian organisers been that well informed on these developments because I have seen very little comment from the sub continent. Or have we anothe r case of $$$$ keeping things in order ?
    The other issue that seems to be raising its head is a 21 event calender and Todt says that there will be a 20 event championshio in 2012 !.What happens there then ?.

4. rob widdows, 7 June 2011 15:49

Thank you for your comments on our latest ramblings in front of the little camera perched on a chair in our office!
    It is not certain that the Bahrain GP will actually go ahead, so those who have booked for the race in Delhi should not panic. Yes, it is VERY disappointing that the FIA do not seem to recognise the trouble this may cause fans who are travelling to India. Typical of the state of play, I would say, and this whole saga may mean that people have to change travel bookings of course. I do however believe that tickets for the Delhi race will remain valid if the Bahrain Gp goes ahead. It would be nice to think that the FIA and/or Mr Ecclestone would compensate those who cannot change their plans. What an unsatisfactory situation this is for all concerned.
    A calendar with 20 or 21 races will stretch even the well-funded teams to the limit. Most people are agreed that this is too any events and will cause problems. The teams, however, are contracted to e at all the Grands Prix so it will be interesting to see how this resolves itself over the next few months.
    Meanwhile we move to Montreal. Always a good race. This year may be a touch chaotic, though, with TWO DRS zones very close to each other. Personally, I have never thought that Montreal ever needed any artificial aids or stimulants………………….
    RW

5. Andy Reeves, 8 June 2011 10:05

Hi Rob
    There is just one thing about ‘artificial stimulants’ and that is …They can be addictive !

6. Alastair Warren, 8 June 2011 22:42

There’s no link between the posters wanting a GP in Bahrain this year, and the Motor Sport magazine podcast devotees in the Pentagon?

7. oldNikon, 9 June 2011 02:19

This is a very enjoyable and informative piece, that i look forward to weekly.
    One thought about the longer F-1 season envisioned for next year is the danger of over exposure. NASCAR has done that over here, with television about tech stuff, shows of nothing more than gossip, or of endless analysis of the last race and of the next race. Please make it stop.
    There is no longer any sense of event, it’s just another product being flogged at us by marketing geniuses who don’t know about racing and don’t care. Their only concern is about TV revenues. Grand Prix racing deserves better.
    A production detail might be to have microphones on stems, or lavalier mics, rather than hand held. Somehow that is kind of distracting.
    Thanks.

8. Tony Geran, 9 June 2011 03:12

Rob

I hope you haven’t put the mockers on Stoner but I seem to recall you tipped Vettel for last year’s and this year’s championship so you might be a safe pair of hands anyway. Stoner certainly has vindicated himself this year when you see Rossi struggling with that Ducati.

Good comments on Bahrain and driving standards.

Re CFD don’t you think it was ironic that a team sponsored by a company that owns an airline never used a wind tunnel?

Keep up the good work

9. rob widdows, 9 June 2011 08:19

As I thought, and said, the Bahrain GP will not go ahead this year. This is refreshingly good news. As I intimated, the teams have to agree to be there, and they were never going to do that, certainly not with unaminous agreement. And end, then, to a mess which has not done F1 much good.
    So, finally, a prediction came true. Yes, I did sayVettel would be the 2010 champion, but I have also said that Alonso will be the 2011 champion………which looks a tall order right now……..
    Stoner looks to be on great form to me, especially as Pedrosa will miss another race (the British GP) and Ducati still has work to do.
    On the sound quality, yes we do need desk mics but we do not have a budget for improvements yet.
    On Virgin, let us see what Mr Symonds can do with the car, but of course it is ironic that the aero was not developed in a wind tunnel. In fact I beieve that Maroussia, the Russian car maker, is now the main sponsor of this team, and not Mr Branson’s airline.
    That’s it for now. I do not want to suffer from over-exposure……………………..!
    RW

10. Nigel (not that one), 9 June 2011 15:03

When Wirth designed his first Simtek it had trick front suspension with high wishbones, claimed to make the car aerodynamically robust and raceable. It didn’t work too well.

When he designed a few Bennettons he tried the Front Torque Transfer System designed to stop the front inside wheel locking under turn in. Nice idea in theory but it too didn’t work well.

Now we have a car designed purley on CFD, another nice idea but yet again another one that didn’t turn out too well.

There is a clear pattern here of a designer who is looking for performance in a ‘silver bullet’ idea, one concept to steal an advantage on your rivals but i think F1 has passed this era a long time ago. Modern F1 is about evolution, not revolution, develop a sound baseline and tighten the package every year until it’s a race winner.

Look at Neweys cars, there aren’t that many radical bit’s and peices every year, instead just a designer with a fundamentally strong understanding of how to make a car go fast who sets hard goals and has a team that can achieve them.

If Nick want’s a future in F1 he needs to forget the pioneering ideas and focus on getting the basics right.

Similar content

Lewis-Hamilton

History is on Hamilton’s side

24/04/14

Paul Fearnley looks back at the history of drivers who won four GPs on the trot, an achievement within Lewis Hamilton’s reach in Spain

_X5J5728

F1 team principals

22/04/14

Lee McKenzie discusses the team principal role in F1 after the resignation of Stefano Domenicali and the return of Ron Dennis.

A-to-Z-video

The A to Z of F1

22/04/14

The first installment of Red Bull’s series of videos covering some of the many facets of Formula 1 in 2014

Author

Ed-Foster

Ed Foster

Read Ed's profile and more …