F1 History 13

David Brabham at Imola, 1994

Onofre Marimón was killed during practice for the 1954 German Grand Prix. Seven years after the event his compatriot Juan Manuel Fangio wrote: “No death on the track, I think, has ever moved me as did this bitter loss of my gay young friend. It seemed then, and still does today, a cruel trick of fate that he, with so much to live for, should have been singled out to die upon the verge of a race track.”

Fangio had promised Marimón’s father Domingo, an old rival in those chopped and rodded cross-country Chevys, that he would take care of his son. He meant it, too. Those were the days when a man could still be considered a raw hot shoe at the age of 29.

history  David Brabham at Imola, 1994

Yet the day after the fatal, tumbling accident, apparently insouciant as ever, Fangio battled Mercedes-Benz team-mate Karl Kling, who sensed momentary weakness – it’s motor racing’s way – and won for Mercedes-Benz. Publicly.

Privately, he won for his dear departed friend ‘Pinocho’.

José Froilán González had promised Domingo the same.

The day after the accident, despite showing sufficiently pale on the grid to warrant Fangio’s solicitous concern, he started the race but, consumed by sadness, felt compelled to hand his Ferrari over to Mike Hawthorn. There’s always somebody waiting to jump in – that is also motor racing’s way.

Friends Fangio and González felt the same yet acted differently. Response to loss can vary even without the intensification and added complication of the pressure of professional competition and completion.

Racing drivers’ reaction to tragedy stands them apart as a hardy – some think foolhardy – breed. Denied the safe distance of anonymity, they must make their decisions while cocooned by proximity and immediacy.

history  David Brabham at Imola, 1994

At Imola 19 years ago, Williams switched off the power steering system on Damon Hill’s FW16 and sent it back into battle.

It wasn’t quite so glib of course. A team of great integrity and vast experience had analysed the data, translated its driver’s feedback, assessed the situation, and then – as Patrick Head would admit months later – taken a risk, as racers do.

Hill’s nosecone was knocked askew at the restart and he plunged to last place because of the resultant pit stop. Thereafter he charged to sixth in a car that even the fastest driver of the era – whom Damon supposed to be at the very least gravely injured because of an inexplicable accident – considered tricky to drive.

Some might consider that wrongheaded. I consider it astoundingly brave: The Right Stuff in the circumstances.

Ayrton Senna’s death, of course, threw a black veil over Imola 1994. The eclipse of the man in the yellow helmet retrospectively occluded all else. Roland Ratzenberger’s fatal accident during Saturday afternoon’s qualifying is almost a footnote. The meritorious reaction of his Simtek team-mate David Brabham is a footnote.

history  David Brabham at Imola, 1994

Not that this honourable Wimbledon-born Australian has ever expected or sought headlines for the story that follows:

“I had not experienced anything like it and so it was difficult to know what to do.

“I tried to find out as much as I could about Roland’s accident; certainly I don’t think the team tried to hide anything from me. We watched the video footage and checked the telemetry and knew that his front wing had come off.

“We could also see that he had left the circuit the lap before: he had slowed down and zigzagged. He was deciding whether to come in and have it checked or go for another lap.

“The team made reinforcements to the wing but weren’t exactly sure why it had come off; we thought that maybe it had got loose when Roland went off the road. So I was given the option by the team to say ‘That’s it.”

“I made the decision to do the morning warm-up. I said that if it didn’t feel right then I wouldn’t race. The team was totally supportive of that.

history  David Brabham at Imola, 1994

“I don’t know if they sent me out on empty tanks or not but I ended up mid-pack. The fact that the car felt competitive didn’t influence my decision, however. It was when I came into the pits and saw that the very dark cloud above the team had turned grey that I made my decision: to race. We were a small, new team struggling to survive, I could feel a slight lift among them, and I knew that we had to get on with it.

“Also I knew Roland well enough to know that he would have told me to get back out there.

“The adrenalin in my body was very different. I’ve had this feeling only twice in my career. The other occasion was when my young son was burned at Knockhill and I went with him to hospital and so missed the morning BTCC race there in 1995.

“I returned for the afternoon race and had no control over my body. My right leg was jumping all over the place because of whatever was coursing through me. [He subsequently equalled his best result of a difficult season with BMW: fourth.]

“At Imola it took quite a few laps for that to settle down.

history  David Brabham at Imola, 1994

“I thought a Tyrrell had crashed. The dust was just settling when I got there and I saw a bit of blue. It was only after the red flag that I realised that it was Ayrton. There were rumours, but not once did I think he had gone. I wasn’t thinking, ‘This is getting worse. I’m getting out of here.’ I was going to push ahead. If something happened then it was meant to be.

“It helped that I had a duel with Eric Bernard’s Ligier. The Simtek wasn’t fast and often we had lonely races. If that had happened at Imola I would have had more time to think about my situation.

“My wife was pregnant and I think she had it much tougher than I did. She probably had doubts about the car and yet had to watch me drive away in it.”

And then ‘Brabs’ crashed on his 28th lap.

He has his reasons to refuse to confirm if a steering failure caused it: “A puncture was the official line.”

“Any failure that weekend was going to frighten you. No real damage was done, though. I just hit a bunch of tyres. But I do remember feeling that that was enough.

history  David Brabham at Imola, 1994

“However, it was only when I got home that night that what I had been through started to sink in. It was only then that I knew for sure Ayrton was dead – I read about it on teletext, I think. There was no big letting go of emotion but there were tears in my eyes.

“People view death in different ways. Mine allows me to move forward quite quickly. Some outsiders thought we should not have raced, that it was in bad taste. I based my decision purely on what I felt to be right and not what others might think, good or bad. I have never regretted it.”

For more from Paul Fearnley, click here.

For more on Formula 1, click here.

history  David Brabham at Imola, 1994

13 comments on David Brabham at Imola, 1994

1. Joe Mc Sherry, 2 May 2013 10:39

What an amazing insight to that very dark weekend in motorsport history and also of a very brave and commited driver in David Brabham.But then of course he is Jack’s son who must be very proud of him.

2. Pat O'Brien, 2 May 2013 11:34

I wonder if Brabham’s reluctance to discuss his DNF is owed to the nutty Italian legal system?

3. Richard Craig, 2 May 2013 11:37

Fascinating.

It saddens me slightly that some people forget about or even disregard Ratzenberger given what happened to Senna the next day – two men of the same age were killed, both equally tragically.

Derek Warwick also deserves a mention in the same breath as Hill and Brabham given that he unquestioningly got back into his Lotus at Jerez in 1990, following the terrifying accident that had befallen his teammate Martin Donnelly the day before.

4. pablo y pedro and kowalsky, 2 May 2013 16:41

that’s what attracted me to f1 37 years ago. It was niki’s accident. As a 10 year old, i thought he was the bravest man on the face of the earth, i still do. To me now it’s just too safe.

5. chris b, 2 May 2013 19:14

a very poignant piece Paul, that reflects the tragedy of our sport, and also the pragmatic reality of a struggling team, and also how people deal with the tragedy, Fangio was always a true gentleman who would have felt that death for all his life, the pampas bull would have cried and totally overwrought by that tragedy, such was his emotional honesty

6. Bill, 2 May 2013 19:32

I know that weekend like it was yesterday. Back then TV crews probably didnt know what to do, and spent what felt like hours, live on the crash aftermath of Senna, live on Ratzenberger crash, and the day before, live on the crash of Barrichello who also had a huge shunt.

I was numb for weeks jus thinking about the tragegy. F1 was such a dangerous, dangerous sport and everybody who drove back then, should be applauded for just having the balls to step in and do tamburello at 330kmh. A week later Wendlinger crashed similarly at Monaco and it was all just too much. For all the hate and criticism towards Max Mosley, it was him that implemented drastic measures and fought for years on the most strict safety measures like mandatory crash tests for race chassis that today, nobody has to go through that horrible, horrible weekend in 1994.

Thanks for sharing the thoughts of Brabham.

7. Ray In Toronto Canada (Ray T (the other one)), 2 May 2013 21:05

What a wretched, hollow, sad weekend that was. I was numb and in a daze for days after…and I knew little of Ratzenberger and wasn’t even a Senna ‘fan’.

Still, what a facinating article with gripping, emotive quotes from Brabham and Fangio!

Awesome!

Thank you.

8. dave cubbedge, 3 May 2013 13:23

…and just how close we came to having three fatalities on the same weekend, something that hasn’t happened since the Monza GP of 1933 – Rubens accident in the Jordan on the Friday was terrifying…

I’ve always had a lot of time for the Brabham family, father and sons, and it’s one of motor racings’ stranger things that the kids never had decent F1 machinery under them despite the rich family heritage. Otherwise we might have had another father/son WDC in the 90s…..

9. John B, 3 May 2013 20:36

What a super piece.
    David may never have had the machinery to show us if he had his father’s talent but he certainly showed us he had the balls.
    I remember like yesterday having an early start on a Monday and so not watching the race late in Australia – I’d also lost the taste for it after the Retanberger tragedy. I woke up to the newreader talking about the death of one of the all time great racing drivers at Imola. I have to admit I thought at the time (no disrespect) that it was a bit strong and old news. When I heard Senna’s name and realised he was gone too – makes me shiver even now to think of it and I was never a particular Senna fan either.

10. Mario Carneiro Neto, 4 May 2013 01:23

Another great article by Mr. Fearnley! Well done!

11. Alex Milligan, 5 May 2013 23:26

Very moving and poignant article. The Imola weekend is forever etched in my memory also. I could not (as per normal) watch the race live as my wife and I had booked a balloon flight over the English countryside. It was a glorious sunny sunday afternoon and we heard the news report of the crash on radio in the recovery vehicle after landing. It was unbelievable and whilst I also was not a Senna fan at that time, he was clearly the superior driver among his peers and it seemed from the reports at that point in time that he may survive. On arriving home in London in the early evening, our worst fears were confirmed and I still shiver when I recall that sad day and awful weekend.

12. John Saviano, 9 May 2013 14:12

I can’t forget that weekend, nor Roland Ratzenberger. I sent a note of condolence to his (& Senna’s) family. I received a very nice card from the Ratzenberger family, thanking me, with a picture of Roland as a child playing with a toy racing car. I, of course, still have it.

13. Rich Ambroson, 9 May 2013 23:39

I’d say the Right Stuff.

Had the pleasure of wishing David “good luck” in the paddock at Laguna Seca a few years ago at an ALMS event as he was passing by. He turned around and gave a big smiling wave. Great guy.

Godspeed, Roland.

Hesketh

The marvel of Hesketh Racing

22/04/14

Andrew Frankel recounts the unlikely story of Hesketh Racing and James Hunt’s win in only its car’s third race

paul-fearnley

Paul Fearnley

Read Paul's profile and more …